Developing a coherent, holistic, risk based and proportionate security strategy, supported by effective governance structures, is essential in ensuring success.
There are two key areas that we focus on to help form a framework for the effective management of protective security.
- Security risk assessment;
- Leadership and governance.
The understanding and application of these two elements are key to managing security risks within an organisation. Where organisations fail in delivering and sustaining proportionate protective security, it is often these two essential building blocks that are missing.
Our security strategy service starts with the analysis of a current security risk assessment, which we can carry out if a suitable up-to-date one is not available. At the same time, our approach is to understand your business drivers both internal and external, your leadership and organisational capabilities and the maturity of existing governance processes. We would utilise enterprise architecture to help map out capabilities and our previous experience of effective governance to help you set-up or improve existing security governance and risk management processes.
We work with all the major security frameworks including ISO27000, NIST CSF, NIST 800-53, CSA, COBIT 5, Cyber Essentials and many more. We realise that securing your business with an effective security strategy can seem daunting, but we can simplify the process quickly and cost effectively.
Why Would You Need This Service?
A security strategy enables you to implement proportionate risk decisions and provides steps and methods to determine risk acceptance and to deliver an agreed security posture. Once you understand your business’s security risks you can drive through changes to mitigate these, reduce them, and keep up-to-date utilising a continuous process of risk assurance and governance.
Some of the following reasons might apply to your business using this service:
- To ensure your security strategy is up-to-date, meets all current regulations and corporate risk policy;
- You need to make security a board level priority for your business and you require expert advice on how to do this;
- Your business’s information security maturity level is low, and you want to improve it;
- Your information security is not keeping pace with change and you want to review ways in which it can be improved;
- You have suffered a data breach, or a security breach and you want to tighten up information security;
- You’re not getting value for money from your information security;
- Your business lacks information security skills and experience;
- Your business lacks security governance skills and experience;
- To assess current and to define a new information security posture.
How We Deliver This Service
A security strategy can be carried out as part of a broader enterprise architecture engagement including developing baseline and target architectures for business, data, application and technology domains. Security strategy can also be undertaken on its own, which will provide a solid focus on security strategy
Typical security strategy deliverables are:
- Security requirements for business, customer, regulatory and compliance obligations;
- A security pressure analysis and define organisation security risk tolerance;
- Security governance model including organisation, structure, roles and processes;
- Security gaps risk/impact/likelihood heatmap;
- Information security roadmap;
- Information security strategy;
- Information security strategy communications deck;
- Information security charter.
Typical outcomes achieved through implementation of security strategy recommendations are:
- An understanding of how to close the gaps between your current security posture and the target, including timescales, costs, roadmap and organisation changes required to improve security strategy and information security posture;
- An improvement in security maturity from CMMI level 1 to 3;
- Visibility of curated security risks at board level and on the corporate risk register;
- Security risk and awareness embedded into the organisation.
Contact Us to Get Started
We will come back to you to discuss your situation as soon as possible