Data governance consists of the people, processes and associated tools and technology required for planning, supervising and controlling your enterprise’s data landscape. The blueprint, standards and benchmarks against which the governance is to be driven is provided by the target data architecture which includes data principles and standards.
Data governance is an integral part of the data management domain.
Why Would You Need This Service?
Creating a data governance capability within an enterprise enables the monitoring and intervention needed to guide the data landscape design towards a desired path of making it relevant, available, timely, secure and evergreen in these desired states once reached.
Without data governance in place organisations tend to develop a data landscape that is of poor quality, lacks coherence and consistency and represents a liability that poses operational and reputation risk to the organisation especially in light of today’s sophisticated cyber security threats and GDPR compliance requirements.
Additionally, the opportunity to turn data into an asset towards developing an insight driven organisation is lost. Just like any asset that is neglected, it becomes a liability.
How We Deliver This Service
A pre-requisite for data governance is data architecture and sometimes other components of data management capability including data management processes, policies and procedures. Our data governance capability is based on the international data management standard methodology (DAMA).
We ensure any governance work starts with a defined vision of the data landscape that is accepted and approved by all influential business and IT stakeholders. This approval, sponsorship and support from the influential business and IT stakeholders is the most important part to successfully driving data governance in the enterprise.
Once the appropriate sponsorship and mandate is obtained for data governance the next step is to define the target data architecture for the target data vision and an associated set of data policies and standards. We then define the charters, processes and roles and the data management target operating model before working out the governance implementation plan and the critical associated stakeholder and change management plan.
Typical Data Governance artefacts delivered to clients are:
- Data principles and standards;
- Governance charters and processes;
- Governance data management operating model;
- Stakeholder and change management plan;
- Governance roadmap.
The diagram visualises the key areas of data governance and its essential role in the data management cycle.
The following outcomes are likely as a result of completing this product:
- Your organisation will be armed with all the collateral and governance vision for communicating with your business;
- A blueprint and prioritised roadmap are available to carry out detailed planning for implementing governance;
- Defined Target Operating Model with roles and responsibilities that can be used as a benchmark for assessing level of gaps that you need to address through recruitment or training in order to implement governance;
- Generate a momentum for getting good data governance instituted across the board in your business and to send out a message about the importance of data as an asset.
Contact Us to Get Started
We will come back to you to discuss your situation as soon as possible